Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Massage is Good

More and more research is being done on the benefits of massage.  Maybe that's why places like Massage Envy and Hand and Stone are doing so well.  It's true that any nurturing touch is beneficial to the body.  It promotes blood circulation and reduces stress.

I recently taught a class to care givers of cancer patients.  In doing research for the event I found out that scientific studies have found that massage reduces anxiety significantly in patients going through chemotherapy.  These benefits last longer than expected also - at least 24 hours.  Just massaging a cancer patients hands or feet for 10 minutes a day can do so much.

Here's an article that contains some interesting information on benefits of massage:

http://www.oprah.com/health/The-Health-Benefits-of-Massage

I'm lucky.  As a massage therapist I have human contact through my "work" for hours a day.  The benefits for me are not the same as for my clients, but they are there.  Have you ever heard of a massage therapist committing suicide?  They are generally very happy people.  There are times I think about giving up this profession to go to some more stable, predictable profession, but then I'm pulled back to reality by some grateful client who tells me how great they feel after a massage.

No comments:

Post a Comment