Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Benefits of Correct Posture

Ever since I went to massage school back in 2005 and learned about posture, I have enjoyed watching people walk and tried to predict where they might feel pain.  My sister teases me that most people don't look at others to see how they walk - most people notice what others are wearing.  Maybe I am weird, but I enjoy my hobby.  I remember one time waiting in a long line that went out onto the street in front of a popular restaurant.  I had at least 30 minutes of watching people of various ages walking down the street and one thing was very evident - the younger the person, the better their posture.  We have all seen the geriatric person who has the body shape of an "L" who can barely see in front of them as they walk.  Not everyone ends up this way, thank goodness.

I have been studying the concept since then and have had some books recommended to me.  And what I have learned is that posture does not have to deteriorate as we get older.  I, for one, do not want to be one of those "L" configured seniors I sometimes see.  And I would like to live without the pain that comes from having gravity take over.  One of the books that was recommended to me was Pain Free, A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain by Pete Egoscue.  I call this book directions on how to give Myofascial Release to yourself.  I took some courses in Myofascial Release as continuing education requirements for massage therapy.  We learned how the fascia that surrounds the muscles can lose its fluidity and become contracted or constricted.  We also learned as manual therapists things we could do to improve the problems.  In Pete Egoscue's books, he gives exercises to help alleviate pain in different parts of the body.  These are not your usual exercises, they focus on stretching the areas that need it and strengthening others.  i.e., Myofascial Release you can do yourself, plus exercises to strengthen the body and keep it in an erect position. The whole point is to correct posture "mistakes", either from chronically bad posture habits or previous injuries or surgeries.

The other book that was recommended to me was 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back, by Esther Gokhale, L.Ac.  In Esther's book she, also, points out that chronically bad posture is causing our chronic pain and gives ways to correct the problems.  She discusses and demonstrates through pictures how we can sit, walk, sleep and drive with out spines in a decompressed position.  She has great illustrations in her book, plus exercises in the back of the book for stretching on strengthening.

So if you have chronic pain, don't give up.  There is hope.  It may take some effort on your part, but it will be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment